Thursday, January 27, 2011

What a Difference Two Hours Makes

You will be pleased to know that, after missing out on the two hour delay last week, I got one this morning - and slept until 9 until 6:30, as usual.  Gawd, was it ever glorious.  I then walked to work and was late, but it didn't matter because I was one of five people in the office - everyone else decided to telework.  I also walked home - I'm feeling healthy! - and thought a bit about the blog as I passed through the Smithsonian complex for the fourth time this week. 

I realized that I haven't actually been to any of the Smithsonian facilities on the Mall (I have been to the National Portrait Gallery, as you'll recall), which means I'm missing out on ten museums, according to Smithsonian's website.  This is an unforgivable sin on my part and I feel culturally impoverished just thinking about it, but it also offers me a great opportunity for this blog.  You see, church reviews are drawing to their natural end, because I've visited most of the Catholic churches within easy reach.  Yes, there are one or two others in the "DC core" that I'll go to eventually, and I haven't been to the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception yet, but the days of a new church review each week are over.  But there are plenty of other things to review, which is what I realized as I walked across the Mall.  This is a city full of museums of monuments, and although I've given some attention to the major monuments, I've said precious little about any of Washington's many museums.  I've also intended since this fall to do a bit on minor monuments - the ones hardly anyone knows about (you'd be surprised how many I've been able to run over without even trying).  Add some more concerted efforts to find new and unique retailers (I already have one in mind), and I've got all sorts of things to write about.  Since this blog is not intended as an exercise in navel-gazing, this is excellent news.  This also means that I can finally start making us of the "DC Guide" tab which I had (and now have) such grand plans for.

Of course, I'm always happy to take requests.  In fact, I might even relish to challenge.  Want me to find something within the borders of the District?  Leave it in the comments, and I'll see what I can do.  And bring photographic evidence back as proof, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment