Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tuesday Potpourri

Nothing large enough to devote a whole blog post to happened today, but I do have two observations.

First:

I did absolutely nothing productive at work today.  This is because no one had any duties for me, so after attending the morning briefing, I went and sat at my desk.  All day.  Around 10:30 I resorted to pulling together a master list of all the acronyms I had come across in an incomplete list, training, and everyday use, which lasted me until lunch.  Once I finished that (1:30-ish), I read and subsequently finished the book I had brought (around 3) and then tried to figure out what to do with my remaining hour and a half.  To keep my brain from shutting down entirely I went onto the website of the French newspaper Le Monde and occupied myself reading the news from Europe than none of the American media report (nor, apparently, the BBC, whose new format drives me crazy).  I left ten minutes early, figuring no one would miss me.  And I'm getting paid for this (!).  Apparently I'm to be given assignments tomorrow.  I never thought I would say this, but thank God!

Second:

Bagels again.  I went to the grocery store to pick up some more (and some cream cheese, milk, and so on, since they're actually on sale for once) and was promptly undercharged for my bagels.  (I didn't discover this until I returned home, so don't chastise me for not getting it sorted out - my feet hurt.)  Why was I undercharged?  Because the cashier apparently thought they were rolls (39 cents a piece, rather than 59).  I am forced to conclude that people in this city just don't know what bagels are, which is bewildering, since it is a city, after all.  How very strange.
I'm a roll, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment