Tuesday, October 26, 2010

One More Addition

I'd like to introduce the newest - and most expensive - addition to my little kingdom.  After a trip to Ikea last night (my very first) and some assembly today, I finally have a very handsome futon.  See?
I spent just a bit under $500 and got the frame, the mattress (the most expensive of the four variants, which is also the only one with springs), the cover (which included those two middle pillows, much to my surprise), and the two arm pillows, in addition to a paper lantern and some hangers (I was running out).  Although it's the largest single outlay of money I've made since I moved to this city (rent excepted, of course), I think it was well worth it.  It's quite handsome.

At first I was a little worried about picking a red cover - I thought about navy blue instead - but K (of the K & R couple, who kindly drove me out to the Ikea since they needed to look at some things as well) reminded me that, since I face north, too much blue will make the apartment feel cold.  Since my wall of windows gives me enough trouble heating, red seemed to make sense.  Seeing it out together and positioned in the apartment, I'm very glad I chose red.  It's a bold color, but I like it.

Naturally this has necessitated a bit of rearrangement, but not as much as you might think.  This is the final result for the west side of the apartment.  Not bad - looks finished, doesn't it?  I've still got some other things I want to get - like a real bed - but that can wait.  I've got a perfectly good air mattress which I've gotten used to, and I've got a table to eat at, a desk to work at, and somewhere to sit (not having anywhere to recline was really getting on my nerves).  The place is just about ready for a housewarming - which is what I intend to to over Veteran's Day weekend, when my other half will be in town.  I'm starting to feel quite at home in my little kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment