Monday, October 18, 2010

Fall Is Here - or There, Rather

Downtown Indianapolis, 7:00 pm

(No, that's not an oxymoron, you smart-ass.)

I'm sitting in, of all places, a Steak 'n' Shake, because I'm cold and I want comfort food.  Today has been exhausting, as I expected it would be.  This is my first business travel and I don' foresee more, but who knows?  I didn't foresee this trip, after all.  Clever I am, but clairvoyant I am not.

My other half was here yesterday to join me for dinner and a lovely evening was had for all (all two of us).  He's coming to DC next month for a whole week (!), but I'm ridiculously glad I got to see him yesterday - the first time since I moved out east.  Unfortunately, he had to return to Chicago, so I'm spending this evening by myself.  Perhaps that's why I'm cold.

Of course it isn't, but wasn't that the most emo thing you've heard in a while?  The truth is that I'm cold because, as is generally the case in these situations, it's cold outside.  The temperatures, fairly temperate during the day, dropped when the sun went down and the wind outside is biting.  And to think I almost didn't bring a jacket!  Although Indianapolis isn't that much farther north than DC, the wind here has an edge to it that we haven't had back in the district (yet).  In Washington, fall is coming.  In Indianapolis, fall is here.

In that case, Steak 'n' Shake (I have to physically restrain myself from replace that lone "n" with "and") is just what the doctor ordered.  It's bright - gaudy really, since the only other people who decorate with black, white, and red are communist panda bears - warm, the waitress is friendly - to be expected, since I have returned to the fringes of the Midwest - and the chocolate shake a godsend.  It's why I came, really.  Better yet, I'm just across the street from the hotel, so I intend to toddle back over, shake in hand, and spend what remains of the night wrapped in blankets and writing.  I've got a blog to catch up on!

No comments:

Post a Comment