Monday, October 11, 2010

Columbus Day Updates

It's Columbus Day, which merits discussion of its own, but let's face it: who actually cares that it's Columbus Day?  The fact of the matter is that for anyone following the Federal work schedule (like me), it's a day off, and we're grateful, but as far as Christopher Columbus is concerned - well, Christopher who?  (If you were hoping to learn more about the holiday, I hate to disappoint you, so I'll link you to the next best thing.)

Since today is a day off I'm spending the majority of it getting things done - things that I've been putting off, in some cases, for quite a while (like vacuuming).  One of those things is this blog - you may have noticed a large-ish gap around the end of September/beginning of October, for example.  I do have things to post there, but I hadn't done it.  So I will, and I'll list the changes below so you don't have to hunt around for new stuff - just click the links.

Posts
September 29th: The Reflecting Pool
September 30th: The World War II Memorial 
October 3rd: Church Review: St. Patrick 
October 4th: Oktoberfest 
October 10th: Church Review: Sacred Heart/Sagrado Corazón

Copyright/Disclaimer
You may also notice, down at the bottom of the page, that I've extended the copyright information and added a disclaimer.  Since my readership has been expanding and must now extend to people who don't know me personally (in fact, people outside the United States as well - thanks for reading!), I felt it was wise to be clearer about copyright business and also to add that disclaimer.  This is not in reaction to any negative feedback I've received - I just thought it would be responsible.

Design
I haven't actually changed anything, but I'm considering a new background - the explosion of stripes is a little hard on the eyes, isn't it?  I've thought about sticking a monument back there instead, but I don't want to look to forcedly artsy.  If you have thoughts about a new background, or any other aspect of the design (or even suggestions unrelated to design), please leave them in the comments - I appreciate the feedback!

2 comments:

  1. Also, since this is the first time I've looked at the blog in a while whilst not on my robot, I can say this about the design: the orange/brown/what-have-you colour for the title looks just fine. Did you know, however, that depending on how large one's screen is, there's beige behind the sunburst background image? I didn't know this until just now - apparently it has a set width. I don't know if this is something you can fix or even something you want to fix (it's certainly unobtrusive from my vantage), but I thought it might be something you would like to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me somehow. I don't think there's anything I can about it, but if it doesn't look bad, I'm just not going to worry. Thanks for letting me know, though!

    ReplyDelete