Monday, September 13, 2010

Workin' 9 to 5

...or, actually, 8 to 4:30.  But never mind the specifics - I'm a member of the work world now!  I get a paycheck now!  I have a desk, and a phone, and a computer!  Of course, I can't get on the computer yet because I'm not in the system yet (which means no e-mail), but I'm sure I'll find something to do!  Why sure, I'd be happy to read the org chart, the Who's Who PowerPoint, the daily briefing, and a few other things - hand them over!

Two hours later: I'm boooored.

And so it was.  So it is with most first days working for the government, I imagine.  I did eventually make it into the computer system (it took until 3), but I still don't have e-mail.  Never mind - I'll be somewhere else for the next three days getting trained, and everything should be in order by the time I get back on Friday.  One would hope.

There's really not much to say, so instead of blathering I'll head to bed to get some much-needed rest.  But before I go, a fun fact - did you know that the federal government still uses Microsoft XP?  It's true, and they'll probably use it until it becomes unusable - none of this "upgrade every time something new comes down the pike" business.  Microsoft XP on a desktop - I feel like I'm an undergrad again!

EDIT (Tuesday afternoon): Unless you've been talking to me recently about my YouTube explorations, you may not have figured out why I titled this post in this manner (that is, why I didn't write "working" as I normally would).  This is because I've been on a musical kick; see below.  Should I be embarrassed that I actually like this stuff?

1 comment:

  1. Good on 'em for sticking with XP. It's certainly the least buggy MS OS.

    ReplyDelete