Sunday, September 5, 2010

Getting to Know One's Oven

I've been invited to dinner at the home of some friends who preceded me to Washington and, as I usually have when I dine with them, am bringing dessert.  This, of course, requires use of the oven, something I hadn't done since moving in.  If I am to bake at anything like the rate I did back in Chicago, it's high time I got to know my oven.  (I had already used the stove top, and am pleased to report that it's fin, although the fact that the dials are numbered from 1 to 6 rather than 1 to 10 as they were in Chicago threw me much more than I expected it to.  I'm going to have to start thinking of 6 as high heat, a change from thinking of it as in the middle.  Why aren't these things standardized?)

As I was pressed for time, I whipped up the fastest recipe in my collection, a heavily-edited one which began as Lebanese cookies with a honey glaze (delicious but time-consuming) and has since become a sort of Lemon Tea Biscuit (I keep changing the name).  As I did back at Tales from Second City, here's a picture of the goods:


Yummy, no?  They're sweet and sandy (because the original Lebanese recipe called for oil instead of butter, and I've kept doing it because it gives a different texture from my butter-based cookies), and I'm pleased.  I've discovered that this oven runs about fifteen degrees slow (better than the thirty to fifty degrees I had to deal with in Chicago), but I expected it to - gas stovetops are great, but gas ovens, not so much.

Do you suppose I could get a hybrid?

(P.S.: If anyone wants recipes, either for the original Lebanese cookies or my variation, just ask for them in the comments and I'll put them up.)

1 comment:

  1. Huzzah! Tasty treats ahoy!

    Today has been filled with all sorts of win. Will explain later on the telephonic device. :)

    ReplyDelete