Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cross-Country Drive, Part I: Seen in Indiana

I'm writing from a hotel in Richmond, Indiana, just west of the Ohio border on the highway to Columbus.  It was not a comfortable drive; our van is packed like it's never been packed before.  I spent the second half of the afternoon sitting essentially sideways, since the space where my feet are supposed to be is full of stuff.  Needless to say, we're all suffering in one way or another, but it's that or throw things out, and I've pared down my possessions about as much as I can.  Fortunately, we've only got one full day (tomorrow) and about a third of a day on Friday, and all the paperwork at my apartment complex (which is actually a co-op) has finally been ironed out, so we shouldn't have any nasty surprises once we get to DC.

Although we had a pretty uneventful drive, there's one thing I have to show you that puts me in a curious state of delight and horror.

Here it is:
See that there?  See the guy's name?  You do?  OK, now breathe.  I wouldn't want you to hyperventilate.

Well, this particular businessman has quite a few billboards in this part of Indiana, and apparently does a roaring business in RV's and other related ventures (like homes - just Google his name).  If you'd like another serving of Schadenfreude, here's his website.  My particular favorite - besides this picture - is a billboard which proclaimed "Welcome to Tom Raper Country!" or something like that.  I nearly died laughing, and maybe you will too.  I imagine that the poor man pronounces his name "rah-per" or something like that, but I don't envy him.  Of course, he appears to be a very successful businessman, so maybe he doesn't care.  But there will always be irreverent people like me who snicker at things like this.  I'm rather glad I saw it - it gave me something to think about besides what (who) I'm leaving behind in Chicago and my aching knees.

Our plan tomorrow is to get to Maryland, so we'll be within striking distance of the District.  Hopefully I'll be able to write something there - maybe I'll even have another funny sign to share!

1 comment:

  1. Jason, who was listening in the dining room as I was convulsing about this while you were telling the story, and who is also an "Arrested Development" fan and got the whole "analrapist" joke, laughed for like five minutes after I hung up with you and told him the story.

    Also, you are very sweet.

    Je t'aime, je t'adore.

    ReplyDelete